Re: Rudder Cable/Fuel hose conflict

Subject: Re: Rudder Cable/Fuel hose conflict
From: JohnJMoran@aol.com
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 11:09:34
Hi Lloyd,

On the original Europa, the rudder cables pass under the fuel hoses with about
an inch of clearance, where the maximum cable height is set by the pulleys.
My understanding is that XS builders must locate the tank a bit higher than
the original to ensure clearance between the spars and the tank so I would
expect that you have a bit of additional clearance between hoses and cable.

One other thing to consider is the location of the nut plates on the access
openings for the fuel tank.  I didn't think about this initially and now find
that the cables pass over these nutplates with only about 1/8 inch clearance.
I will add Tufnol blocks forward of the nut plates for insurance but if you
haven't placed the nutplates yet you may be able to avoid this complication.

The other possible conflict between the cables and the gas lines occurs
further aft if you fit the tank drains since the hoses to the drains also pass
under the cables. There is several inches of clearance here but I intend to
cover these hoses in the appropriate area with spiral wrap to minimize any
possibility of  wear. Alternatively, a little Tufnol bridge over the hoses
would also offer protection.

Good luck with the green goop!

Regards, John             A044