Re: Trimming wet cloth.

Subject: Re: Trimming wet cloth.
From: Kenneth Whiteley <kenwhit@kenwhit.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 20:43:49
In message <36586B99.F495025B@sprintmail.com>, Steve Genotte
<gopack@sprintmail.com> writes
>I was wondering if this could be done.  Since I've got the Dremel and the
>PermaGrit cutting wheel, is there any reason not to use these wonderful items
>trim after the fabled leather stage?

The fabled leather stage is very real, but is quite critical in timing.
Incidentally a hooked Stanley knife (lino-cutter?) is ideal for this
purpose. Knife trimming before the critical stage will pull the laminate
off the foam. Attempting to knife trim too late will either be
impossible or will also cause delamination. Trimming with saws and other
tools should be left until the lay-up is thoroughly cured as this can
also cause delamination. I have used an alarm clock to trim at the
leather stage, but now tend to trim after about 48 hours with either a
hack saw or a 25 mm Diamond wheel (RS product) in the Dremel.

Kenneth Whiteley