CRT/LCD Screen Brightness

Subject: CRT/LCD Screen Brightness
From: Tony Renshaw <renshaw@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 12:09:07
Gidday,
I made a note yesterday to see how much the coaming on my work a/c
overhangs the CRTs. It is about 18", the length of my forearm from elbow to
fingertip. Mr Boeing back in 1983 when he designed the 767 was aware then
of the limitations of the screens in sunlight. These screens I am told are
not quite as good as later generation screens on newer models. What I can
tell you is that in indirect light they are fine. You may well ask what
this has to do with my Europa? Well the instrument panel is quite similar
to a 767 if you remove and recess the instrument panel back as far as
possible i.e. you will have about 12-15" of created coaming. Our eye
position looking at a screen that I suppose is about 8-9" square-ish is a
full arms length, so I figure it wouldnt be too much of a strain on the
eyes to place the panel as far forward as you could get it. Now I am only
suggesting the portion immediately in front of the pilot as the radiostack
will obviously need depth, but why so for a flat display with a remote
generating source?  I am sure that similar technology to the screens I look
at every day is available at a fair price. If anyone is interested I will
try and find out specifics of the CRTs. If your intent is to be able to
read them in direct sunlight I would suggest to forget it, for now anyway.
By the way, I am not commenting on the asthetics of such an instrument
panel. I personally think the lack of convention would put it in the "ugly
duckking" catagory, but for the practical owner it could well turn into a
"swan".
Reg
Tony Renshaw
Reg