Re: Confused in Pitotville

Subject: Re: Confused in Pitotville
From: Roger Mills <Roger.Mills@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 21:35:42
Fred,
I have recently completed the factory mod to put the combined pitot/static
assembly in the new position behind the spar and outboard of the flaps. You
can cut a small hole through the lower wing surface quite easily and scarf
joint a flange for the new assembly. Connection for the pipe run can be via
small holes drilled in the outside wall of the aileron channel. The Pitot
Static pipe run can be  completed using Graham Singleton's idea of  3mm ID
nylon tubes secured to the top and bottom of the flap close out with 1
layer of bid. The solution is neat and easy to implement in about 2 days'
work allowing for resin drying times - with a further day for re-surfacing
the area around the scarf joint for the flange for the new hole.
According to independent reports this mod is well worth the small amount of
trouble and time.
Roger Mills
----------
> From: Fillinger@aol.com
> Subject: Re: Confused in Pitotville
> Date: 24 September 1998 03:56
>
> Hello Graham --
>
> I agree the situation you describe is bad, but I hear a flight instructor
> barking in my right ear.  I have 23 years in type and no clue what
liftoff
> speed is nor what ASI says at the break in a stall.  Relying on feel has
> likely saved me on IFR flights when the pitot has iced up but good, so
> inaccuracy doesn't bother me that much.  But I reread an old newsletter
that
> described the problem and about the tendency to increase indicated
airspeed
> while it was actually decreasing, and that is not good.  They didn't say
it
> was due to static location, though, so I hope you're right.  My problem
is the
> wings are done and the pitot tube hole (in the bad location) plugged,
I've