Re: Fuel tank/wing spar foul

Subject: Re: Fuel tank/wing spar foul
From: GERAINT L OWENS <lloyd.owens@lineone.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 19:56:52

-----Original Message-----
From: William S. Stewart <bill@helixsys.com>
Date: 22 September 1998 14:18
Subject: Fuel tank/wing spar foul

>>It is unfortunate for me that I did not know about this problem before I
>bonded in the cockpit module, as it now appears that the starboard spar
>will not fit due to the placement of the fuel tank (which is exactly as
>specified in the manual).
>
>I am not sure how to go about moving the fuel tank, but I doubt that it is
>a pleasant experience.  So if you are an XS builder who does not have wings
>that is about to install the fuel tank, check this closely.  The real spar
>is much wider than the dummy spar.
>Bill Stewart, A098 (N6LB)
>Tarpon Springs, FL, USA

This was my point exactly ... and why I made the suggestion on the net that
we should be getting advisories from Europa about build problems as they are
experienced by other builders.   I was alerted to the problem only by
reading Tony K's web page.   I checked my tank/spar positioning (built
exactly as per manual) only to find that I had the same problem as Tony K,
but to a lesser extent.   I was able to take various remedial measures,
which avoided the need to take the tank out of the module.   I can only
sympathise that you have glued the module into the fusealage - my heart goes
out to you - it could so easily have been avoided for the cost of a monthly
postage stamp/fax/e.mail from Europa to each builder.   10 could easily be
added to the cost of each part of the kit to cover for this.   My problem,
nowhere near as great as yours, still put me back about a month.   If I
hadn't read Tony K's page I would be in your position.
Lloyd Owens