Brain's "Darkness sucks."

Subject: Brain's "Darkness sucks."
From: Robert Williams <rwilliams@pantex.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 19:18:08

In the U.S. there are quartz-halide lights intended for use as
floodlights to illuminate your backyard company barbecue. In addition to
several other types of light, I have used these successfully in my shop.

These lights have a rectangular glass mounted in a more-or-less
rectangular, parabolic, cast aluminum reflector.  Cost: ca. $10 to $20.
Power: Ca. 300 watts @ 120v. (probably not cheap for use all day long.)
Light quality: close enough to sunlight that photographers sometimes use
them instead of expensive photo-lights.

CAVEAT:  The packages often read, "For exterior use only."  I assume
that warning is due to the heat generated, so do NOT mount them close to
wood, foam, plastic, etc.  The same lights appear to be sold as portable
units at inflated prices.

Other possibilities?  Has anyone tried a combination of mercury vapor
and/or high-pressure sodium security lights?  Can these be purchase
cheaper without the normally "standard" photocell-switches?

Input welcome.

Bob Williams