Re: Glass/Epoxy weight ratio

Subject: Re: Glass/Epoxy weight ratio
From: Brian Rauchfuss - PCD <brauchfu@pcocd2.intel.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 16:37:40
> I've made up a spreadsheet that will calculate the mass of epoxy and
> resin required by a specific mass of glass in order to avoid any fat
> fingered fractional fumbling with my abacus.  (The balls don't slide
> worth a darn when you get epoxy on the rails).  All I have to do is
> weigh the fabric, find that number on the sheet and read off how much
> sticky stuff to mix.
>
> Here's my question:  what glass/epoxy weight ratio do you use?  I've
> seen figures of 40% epoxy/60% glass, 45/55 and 50/50, with the former
> being described as the perfect ration and the latter as deliberately on
> the heavy side.   Any thoughts on which would be the best number to plug
> in to the formula?

I tend to mix up about 50/50 and take the extra off.  Trying to get all the
cloth wetted out with 40%/60% seems impossible; it seems much easier to get
it all wetted out and then go over it with a hairdryer and squeegee out the
excess.  Additional epoxy needs to be mixed up for the micro coat in the
beginning.

> Regards,
>
> Steve Genotte
>
> PS.  For those that may find such minutiae interesting, here are some
> revelations I've (re)discovered as I get closer to being an actual
> builder.
>
>    * Darkness sucks.  I will be spending about US$100 on fluorescent
>      lighting for my garage/shop.  One 60 watt bulb just won't cut it.
>      :-)

I have 6 flourescent bulbs, a 500 watt work light and the 75 watt bulb that
the garage started with.  The 75 watt bulb went out and I didn't notice until
recently.  :-)

Brian