SS Firewall

Subject: SS Firewall
From: David Hillam <dgh@liverpool.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 22:51:08
I also had the same problem as Martin.  The manual provides
templates for three pieces of SS (two upper and one lower)
and my kit had 2 pieces of steel to make them (sufficient).
However, the diagram in the manual and the instructions
indicate a further SS sheet on the starboard side which is
needed to make room for the rudder arm.  In my case (kit
113), I also needed a further piece for the port side
because of conflict there also.  This is despite following
the instructions for fitting the pedals to the letter.

After contacting Europa they said I should have had 3
sheets of SS and provided the extra together with the
necessary bolts, P-clips etc for making and installing the
two extra side panels. After querying how to seal the holes
in the firewall where the rudder cables go through, they
provided pieces of a `rubberised' material which I have pop
rivetted to the firewall, using scrap SS as large headed
washers (more like a backing plate) to sandwich the
flexible material.

Once you discover the need for all this, you will have
realised that the original templates are all wrong and the
careful cutting of your cardboard templates around the
slots for the cables need to be cut off, together with the
tabs for fixing the lower panel to the sides of the
footwell.  You will then have to devise new fixings.

Mine is now complete and, I think, satisfactory but I don't
feel that it is very secure at the top.  There are no
fixings there and it seems that it will be held in place
only by the silicone (still to be done) - how long will
this last with the engine vibration?

Possibly later kits than mine have better instructions, if
so I think that builders of the earlier kits should have
been informed.  However, if we didn't enjoy a challenge, we
wouldn't be building aircraft - would we?
David Hillam

dgh@liverpool.ac.uk