first flight disaster

Subject: first flight disaster
From: David Watts <dwatts@ns1.avnet.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:06:15
Last week I mentioned that G-MAVE made her first flight in the hands of
Peter Kember.
I'm afraid that I have now to report that it was destroyed on its 5th
flight, which was its 2 hour proving flight.
Leading up to its first flight it had suffered several engine stoppages
while ground running and taxiing and after altering a couple of items the
owner appeared to have cured the problem and the first 4 flights were
undertaken.
On this flight Peter took my daughter Sarah with him as the high empty
weight of 950lbs meant he need a lightweight passenger to get enough fuel in
for the flight.
Having completed all the test requirement (stalls, Vne etc) he was just
continuing to get the 2 hours up, but at 1 hour 45 min the 100hp Subarau
engine suddenly stopped with no warning. It failed to restart and the only
landing site available was Farthing Corner, which has a 400 mtr down sloping
runway. Unfortunatley Peter did not manage to lose enough height on the
approach even though he side slipped all the way down finals and he just
clipped the end of the runway (the end of which drops away at a very
unusable angle). The tops of the trees in the next field are at the same
level as the runway and he managed to pancake into the tops of the trees.
The aircraft, with its tail end broken adrift then fell through the trees
into a clearing just big enough to take the whole craft which spun round
through 250 degrees as it came down. When it came to rest it was essentially
still in one piece from the rear baggage bay forward and both Sarah and
Peter got out without any physical after effects whatsoever.
The aircraft could possibly be rebuilt except that you could not afford the
extra weight involved. At this time it is still unknown as to exactly why
the engine stopped this time. There was still fuel in the system and the
engine can still be turned. There is no evidence of oil or fuel leakage
before or after the accident.
Thank goodness they both escaped unharmed, due again in no small way to the
superb design of the aircaft cockpit area, and also Peters piloting skills.

Dave Watts 'XDY.