Re: Shock cords

Subject: Re: Shock cords
From: David Watts <dwatts@ns1.avnet.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:05:09
>I had problems initially with insufficient assistance from the bungee.
>I recommend you should first check that the assembly moves freely at the
>correct torque for the bronze bearing bolts.

This is probably the most important aspect anyway. Any friction is
definitely not wanted in the bronze bushes for a nice acting non wearing system.

>I then found that I needed 17 "Falls" before retraction was sufficiently
>assisted and 18 was slightly too strong in that gear extension was starting
>to become difficult.
>Perhaps other builders with more experience could offer comment

We used the one more than the factory recommended number of "falls", but in
use found that it was a bit stiff to drop the gear, so we took the extra
"fall" out. It all works perfectly like this. The work in situe with the
engine still installed was a nasty job, but I got it done ok.

Dave Watts 'XDY.