RE: Europa Tailwheel Mod

Subject: RE: Europa Tailwheel Mod
From: Tennant@tonline.de
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 22:33:18
Hi Carl !

I have about 20 hrs on the original design and 15 hrs on the Europa standard
tail
wheel mod. I also
read the discussions on this forum and considered a modification to the Europa
mod.

I am glad now that I made the mod to the Europa spec as it works 100%.

It has transformed the take off and especially landing handling performance. On
take off there is
nearly no transition from tail wheel to rudder authority when the tail is
lifted,
even in cross winds.
On landing the stability of tracking is no longer nervous with about 50% of the
foot work required
as compared with the old design.

I am sure that many of you tail wheel aces out there have no problem with the
old
design but the
more humble mortals among us need all the help we can get and this mod is
certainly
a big help!!

One problem I have encountered is that as the rudder is no longer fixed firmly
to the tail wheel it
flaps about when being towed on the trailor. I have to construct a clamp to hold
the rudder.

Best regards to all

Barry Tennant
D-EHBT