Europa Tailwheel Mod

Subject: Europa Tailwheel Mod
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@photos.prestel.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 22:19:57
I have just received my Europa tailwheel mod kit (a la XS design) and am
aware of considerable controversy about the factory design. I am also in
receipt of several alternative designs which are mods of the factory
mod.

Whilst I am aware of the reasons for builders wishing to improve the
design the fact still remains that Europa say that a year on they are
perfectly happy with the original design and have no plans to change it.
Disregarding engineering niceties, the fact remains that G-EXUS has been
flying with modded tailwheel for nearly a year and has probably done
more takeoffs and landings in that time than many of us will manage in
a long time. We are given to believe that this has been problem free.

I am inclned to believe what Europa Aircraft say because if there was
any likelyhood of the bottom hinge breaking this could result in a
rudder jammed in at a critical part of the takeoff. It would seem that
the rudder hinge is under the greatest stress during a bumpy takeoff (or
landing) on rough ground where there would be a tendency for the
tailwheel to jerk the rudder around.

My question is "Has anyone else done the mod as per the Europa design"
and if so, what do they think. Has anyone flown their aircraft with the
standard design ?

Carl Pattinson.
G-LABS (not yet, but soon !)