Re: intro and landing lights

Subject: Re: intro and landing lights
From: Steve G. <gopack@sprintmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 17:55:11
Eric,

Hello from Carrollton.  I'm in the final stages of pre-build for my Europa
project, i.e., my wife finally said I can do it :)  After a hip replacement
next week and the recovery, I hope to attend the builders' workshop in Georgia
in October, then take delivery of my kit sometime in early January.  ( I
promised my wife I wouldn't beg too much to start before then.)  I'm going to
take a stab at some of your questions, while looking forward to being roundly
corrected by those more on top of things than I.  (Ready, Aim.....)

Having seen the Europa up close (and even flying one at Sun 'n Fun this last
Friday.  Wow!), I feel there probably is not enough clearance around the
monowheel assembly for a landing light.  Things are pretty close together down
there.  Perhaps a fitting around the cowling for the radiator would be
better?  Since you're planning on a landing light, are you also thinking of
night operations?  If so, you'll still need to wire the wings, but not to
worry.  Several builders have done so using various types of quick connect
fittings at the wing root to very good effect.

As far as size of the Europa, it is smaller than your average PA-28, to be
sure.  However, if you're planning on carrying two adults, 100 lb. of baggage
and enough fuel for 600+ sm. of flight plus reserves, then the Europa is
plenty big. ( I'm 5' 8" and an uncomfortable 205 lb. and the smaller, original
Europa still fits me fine.)  I talked to a lot of people at Lakeland; several
of them thought the Europa was a production airplane and were surprised when I
told them it was a kit, so it definitely doesn't look too small :)  The
designer, Ivan Shaw, is around 6' 1" so you know it's not too tight a fit for
most of us.

---From what I know about composites, the useful life is high, as long as you
don't overheat the plane and let the epoxy break down.  About the only way to
do that is to paint the surface a color other than white (which the FAA won't
let you do, anyway), and leave it out in the summer sun for a while.  I
believe you can visually determine a separation of laminates by a change in
appearance of the affected section, but I'll let someone more knowledgeable
give the definitive answer on that one.

There is a Europa builder in Ovilla, down near Lancaster, but I'm afraid I've
lost my list of addresses.  Anyone else?

Not being a builder (yet), there are some questions I won't be able to answer,
but if there is anything I can do since we're so close, please let me know.

Welcome to the fold,

Steve Genotte
Carrollton, Texas