Re: intro and landing lights

Subject: Re: intro and landing lights
From: Eric Tauch <et@airmail.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 23:46:11
Hello Robert and everyone,

I have been "lurking" around out here a while.  I guess a short intro is
in order...I am fairly new to homebuilding, and have never built a plane,
but have been actively reading and researching for the past 3 years in
preparation for building.  I have pretty much decided on the Europa.  I
have never seen one other than in the video and pictures, but am going to
try to make it to Oshkosh this year.  I am an engineer  (electronics), and
have worked
in wireless telecom for the last 8 years.

I was wondering about strobes and landing lights too.  If you put them in
the wings, you will have
to make some sort of electrical connection at rigging.  I was thinking
that the monowheel assembly would be the
ideal place for a landing light.   Maybe not enough clearance under
there???  More prone to damage in landings?
Anyway, it would avoid wiring power to the wings and maybe less drag under
there behind the cowl.

Does anyone have a kit or completed Europa in the Dallas, TX area I could
look at?  My only concern is the size of the plane.  I'm thinking it may
be a bit small when I see it in person.  I guess this is one of the
penalties for an easily trailerable plane which Is a feature I really
like. The cabin seems plenty big, though.

Also does anyone have any more specifics (web sites?) for the new 100hp
EFI rotax 912?

I have also been wondering about the stressing of composites and the
useful life of the airframe (as well as
inspection of stressed areas).

Any help/comments/pointers greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric Tauch
Plano, Tx, USA