Jabiru question

Subject: Jabiru question
From: Mel Ewing <mele@imt.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 21:20:04
Well, this is my first posting to the Europa mail list, and I hope it works!
My name is Mel Ewing, Europa Builder #??? (Okay, just give me a few more
years to settle down and then get my Europa!)

I was checking out the new Europa factory home page and was quickly browsing
through the FAQ. Two things caught my attention.

1) They have quit developement on the BMW engine.  It seemed like all was
going well the last I checked. Anyone know why the sudden hault?

2) The FAQ stated that because the Jabiru only produced 3300 RPM that it
would require a smaller prop, and would make it unsuitable for the Europa.
This surprised my because the Jabiru is DIRECT DRIVE, no gear box. This is
prop RPM. The prop RPM of the Rotax is the no faster then this. Maybe one of
you high speed pilots with more experience then I have can explain what I am
missing? I was considering the Jabiru over the Rotax because of the lighter
weight and because it did not have to have a reduction gear box that needs
to be over hauled. (One more thing to possibly break!) Any opinions, or
counciling for this young pilot? (me)

Mel Ewing
Future Europa In Montana!