Re: new tailwheel

Subject: Re: new tailwheel
From: David G. Watts <dwatts@ns1.avnet.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 22:24:05
>Dave, I have been  reading all the old discussions about the tail wheel mod.
>again, cos I have at last got around to testing my version which I believe
>is similar to yours except for use of a rod through the bottom of the old
>tailwheel mount.
>On ground handling, yes I can "blow it round" as you said, almost on a point
>to the left, but not to the right. On landing I haven't done enough yet,
but >I still seem to find myself short of right rudder. How does this align
with >your experience to date? Cheers Graham C G-EMIN

I must admit that I have not yet had the need to blow it round in either
direction so I cannot comment personally. However when we did the test
flights with Peter Kember and then subsequently converting to type with
Martin Stoner, they both had occasion to blow it round on the rudder, which
was no effort at all. However as to whether it was left or right I am not
sure. Perhaps I will get a chance to try it in the next few days.
As for steering problems on landing, we have not experienced any yet. There
seems to be more than enough control authority in both directions, which at
times has proved quite usefull :-) !!!
Dave Watts 'XDY