Mods [was: Torque Tube Mod?]

Subject: Mods [was: Torque Tube Mod?]
From: Rowland and Wilma Carson <rowil@gn.apc.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 21:39:06

>These mods are a nuisance but really Europa have no choice do they?

I think that compared with how many mandatory mods have been required on
the new Cessna 172, Europa are not doing too badly. Remember that Clyde &
Co have been pushing 172s out the door (well, intermittently) for over 40
years and they _still_ haven't figured out how to make 'em right! I quote
below a relevant item from AVFLASH:

>Yet another AD has been issued on the new Cessna singles.  Turns out the
>identification placard for the alternate static source of the new Cessna
>172R and 182S may have been installed such that it blocks that port,
>rendering it ineffective.  Since having an alternate air source is a
>really good idea for IFR flight (not to mention the regulatory
>requirements), the FAA has issued an AD prohibiting IFR ops until the
>system has been checked.  In addition to the placard problem, Cessna
>cautions that the air valve body may separate from the valve flange, and
>the AD requires repair or replacement of that valve.  Meanwhile, keep a
>hammer handy to smash that VSI faceplate.
>
>     NOTE: AVweb's NewsWire includes the full text of the AD on the
>     alternate static source.  You might also want to read Mike Busch's
>     reflections on the recent spate of ADs issued on the new Cessnas.
>     <http://www.avweb.com/toc/atis.html>

cheers

Rowland

... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...