[OFF] server behaviour [was: Flox]

Subject: [OFF] server behaviour [was: Flox]
From: Rowland and Wilma Carson <rowil@gn.apc.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 22:08:46
        Moira Millar <moira@avnet.co.uk>

>The flox we builders refer to is flocked cotton

[snip]

>  From: patyiwai <patyiwai@tky2.3web.ne.jp>
>  Subject: Flox
>  Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 08:38:24 +1300
>

>> What does the word "flox" mean ?

I've just checked (using "who europa") and it appears that Patricia
"patyiwai@tky2.3web.ne.jp" is _not_ subscribed to the list at present. So,
your helpful reply will not be seen by her.

This sad state of affairs seems to arise because of the poor security of
the e-mail server software used by the Europa list. I don't want to seem
too critical of the service provided by our hosts AVNET, but I would expect
a sensible list server to reject any postings made to it from any address
that was not its own "subscribed" list (and perhaps make a polite reply
explaining why!). This server doesn't seem to do that. Apparently anyone
can search previous postings for a key word such as Rotax, flox, etc, and
then just post a query to the list without joining. Of course, if they
don't join the list, they never see any replies posted to the list itself,
which is doubly ironic. They are probably wondering why nobody answered
them, and the Europa enthusiasts are thinking "Stop all this off-topic
stuff and get back to the building & flying of Europas!"

I'm copying this to Monu & Moira to see if they have any comments on my
observations - is there some flag or setting in the server software that
could be changed to make things more secure? I will also copy it to
Patricia. Alas, my French dictionary does not define "flox" either, sorry!

cheers

Rowland

... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...