Re: Flying: Fuel Exhaustion/912

Subject: Re: Flying: Fuel Exhaustion/912
From: Europa <Enquiries@europaaviation.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 12:13:05
>In a message dated 10/01/98  20:17:57, Dave Watts wrote:
>
><< The only proviso is that you have to be straight and level to get the
> correct reading, but then that is surely the case with all gauges. >>
>
>No it ain't Dave.  A gauge can be placed in the  the centre of the the tank
>(fore, aft) and so is immune to (static)  tilt. in the Europa it has to be
off
>the centre line laterally bit because of the tunnel, but who wants to read
>fuel while doing an (unbalanced) turn ?
>
>That's where I have put the pipette gauge.  Approval seems to be taking a
long
>time though  !
>
>I too am INTENSELY interested in what happens if you starve the engine in
>flight.
>Although I will continue to avoid doing it, one could use up much more of the
>non-reserve side if one really knew it wasn't going to be a disaster.  I
>nominate Andy, Roger or Ivan at the factory to do it over Wombledon and
let us
>know. All in favour ?
>
>Graham G-EMIN

I think I can predict what would happen if you starve the engine of fuel in
flight.......The engine would stop!

Having deliberately stopped a 912 in flight I found that the prop
windmilled down to about 60kts before it stopped. According to trials Pete
Clark carried out, a restart would require the starter to be used as the
speed required to cause windmilling from a stopped engine is approaching Vne.
You must therefore assume that following an engine failure after take off
the prop will almost certainly stop.

Regards    Andy