Re: Iceland and beyond

Subject: Re: Iceland and beyond
From: Tim Ward <ward.t@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 16:35:57

Gramin wrote:

> With your experience of the route it should certainly encourage others to join
> us.
> So where are you all ? We want a "snowball" of Europas rolling up Europe and
> UK  then more across the pond to join for a "big wing" into Oshkosh next Sept.
> Might even get sponsorship ?

Gramin,
Have flown the route numerous times, and it's a "breeze". The only extra help we
have
are four RR-RB211 engines and at 35000ft!!
 However from my experience the weather most of the time is surprisingly stable.
90% of
the time there is a cloud cover viewed from 35000ft so how low that goes???I
think
most
times quite low.I flew it 2 days ago and we struck a jet stream just north of
Stornaway

(139kts Head/W) however that is not common and only at high levels. I would
think
it
would be great fun if you judged the good weather.We often do not see the Icecap
but
when we do it's very impressive but not a place to fly VFR over.
Our Minimum Safe Altitude over the icecap of Greenland varies from 15500ft to
15900ft.A

real trap for the inexperienced as we found out on Erebus down the Antarctic.We
have
fuel temp. problems at this time of the year where the temp 9SAT) can get to -75
at
350000ft. (fuel to -38)However that will not be a problem.
As you probably know, your track is north of the NATS tracks, most of the time
however
there is still a reasonable amount of high level traffic monitoring 121.5 at all
hours.
Iceland radar are excellent, and VHF contact good as they have located further
repeaters
to give an excellent coverage; again at our high altitude.
I don't think TCAS(Traffic Collision Avoidance System) will affect you but
having
transponder is a must and comforting.( and by law?).
Probably not a great help (from 35000ft with the 4 donkeys), however like the
concept,

and look forward to reading about it in  the Europa newsletter "Crossing the
Atlantic"

by "ugo First".
Cheers,
Tim