Re: Iceland and beyond

Subject: Re: Iceland and beyond
From: Gramin <Gramin@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 17:46:36
In a message dated 17/01/98  00:57:05, Peter Lert wrote:

<< "dropping a life raft" is a non-starter. >>

Nimrods have been reported over here doing just that, but come to think of it
I don't remember reports of it being successful either !  Pity, a helicopter
mother ship would be a tad expensive.  Putting a liferaft in a Europa would
make a big inroad in the fuel load - pehaps Europa will throw  G-YURO in a
pool before it goes to the museum by now - we MUST know how long they float.

I would be most worried about the  hazard of  unexpected adverse winds and
flying into icing if unable to avoid going IFR.

<<Want a pilot or copilot for your "mother ship?">>

With your experience of the route it should certainly encourage others to join
us.
So where are you all ? We want a "snowball" of Europas rolling up Europe and
UK  then more across the pond to join for a "big wing" into Oshkosh next Sept.
Might even get sponsorship ?

Graham C   G-EMIN