Hinges/hinge/hing contddddddd

Subject: Hinges/hinge/hing contddddddd
From: Tony Renshaw <renshaw@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 15:36:39
The other day your wrote ( I still don't know how to do this with my Eudora
Light-or maybe thats the reason!), you wrote:
>That doesn't mean it's correct. Or nessasarily better.

>>The Teflon hinge mod was developed by Long EZ builders who have been using
>>it for years.

Since I was the one to broach this subject and I notice some defense of our
existing building manual hinge setup, I would like to pose a couple of
questions that I am sure you can answer:

1) How do you intend removing the hinge flange that is bonded onto the
control surface flange?
2)If this is not a more ideal setup to negate wear, where are the benefits
of the existing steel pin to aluminium lug, other than a negligible amount
less friction. It must be remembered that you have a considerable moment arm
to overcome and displace the flight control concerned. If you could
physically discern the additionaly load you would be in need of some Special
K or other high energy breakfast cereal!
3) The hinge would not develop any slop over time. Why would an unprotected
hinge be any better?
4) Who judges what is correct or better, Europa with production/cost
constraints or builders doing "one off aircraft" that they will be strapping
themselves and loved ones into"???

 I wished to air this idea because not only do several thousand homebuilt
aircraft probably use this method, and now I'm told production aircraft
also, but I really don't want to have to replace the bonded hinge flange for
a long long time. If you have doubts that this method has floors or
compromises safety in any way just say so, and why. This message above is
only negative and nothing can be drawn from it.
This forum is designed so that people can share these ideas and as I
understand it there are many builders who are going for full length hinges
for the rudder etc just for their own peace of mind. Europa tells me they
are experimenting with teflon sheathing of hinges, but I wouldn't be
surprised if it is for the production aircraft. What I really want to know
is if Ivans Varieze or Longeze had teflon hinges???
Reg
Tony Renshaw