Re: Airfoil Templates

Subject: Re: Airfoil Templates
From: Tony Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 11:13:04

> Obviously, I'm somewhat behind reading my "mail," and these remarks may be
> grossly dated.  That having been said, as regards airfoil templates for
> those of us with foam-core wings.....can we not assume that the factory
> templates that were used in the hot-wire process were CAD-generated, and
> should, as a result, be very accurate representations of the designed
> CAD-generated airfoil.

I wouldn't count on that if you have the early hand made cores! I think it
can be said that mine showed "a variance" from ideal and took quite a bit of
persuading and shimming to establish a good shape. I might add that the
finished wing looks great.

Now, all I have to do now is work out why my root chord with flap set hard
into the closeout is 5mm longer than will fit into my flap rigging jig block
:-)

Ah, the joys of homebuilding.

Tony

Tony Krzyzewski    tonyk@kaon.co.nz