Re: Tailwheel Alternative?

Subject: Re: Tailwheel Alternative?
From: JohnJMoran@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 10:30:03
>  I am going for the expected advantages of the long wheelbase, both pitch
>  and yaw. Hoping it will be reasonably simple

The improvement in ride (pitch) on rough ground should be considerable.

But I don't understand how the yaw handling is improved due to longer
wheelbase.  To keep the turning circle the same with a longer wheelbase,
don't you have to increase the angle the tailwheel turns through?  Doesn't
this then result in the same ground steering sensitivity at the pedal?  Or is
the turn circle increased (hard to manuever in tight places)?  Have I
misunderstood the geometry involved?  Is there another factor at work that I
haven't considered?

The reason I am considering the alternate scheme is that I thought most of
the improvement in ground yaw handling was due to the decoupling provided by
the springs.
I am willing to accept the current pitch effects on the ground as well as the
deck angle - what I'm after is improved ground steering with minimum
construction effort, weight, and cost.

Further input would be appreciated.

Regards,   John         A044