Re: Exhaust systems

Subject: Re: Exhaust systems
From: Alan Stewart <alans@kbss.bt.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 08:04:16

> Thanks for the input Graham. Does anyone have information on the highest
> usual exhaust temperature on the 912.

I suppose it must depend on the configuration. In my case the exhaust has
always been lagged, the carb needles raised by 1 notch from normal. (richer
mixture). I suspect the EGT sensors are accurate (they certainly are when
measuring ambient temp before engine start).

They run cooler now, but the engine used to regularly blink the warning
on the FLYDAT (flashing indication) and on one occasion triggered the max
("SERVICE!") indicator. I think that value is 900 or 930 centigrade. (check
with Nigel Beale of 'Skydrive').

In any case I was told this was much too hot. I start to get worried at about
870 C !! (typical values this year on FX were in the range 770 - 840)

alan