Re: Performance

Subject: Re: Performance
From: Graham Singleton <100421.2123@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 18:07:31
>>I expect that the Europa wing is relatively tolerant to minor variations
in
contour since it has been designed to be tolerant to bugs and rain.  In
this
area, I haven't seen mention of contouring the foam before glassing.<<

I agree with most of John J Moran's remarks. I do like to correct any
faults in the foam before glassing. This is probably what Roger meant, it's
much easier to reshape foam than glass or filler. However: a few
thoughts:--

1 spanwise lack of straightness is only of cosmetic importance except
insofar as it affects incidence.
2 chordwise waviness IS important, rule of thumb, no more than .003" feeler
under a steel rule pressed down with the fingers 2" apart anywhere forward
of the main spar, top or bottom.
3 camber is important, and hard to check because they didn't give us
templates. Yet? Not a lot of good if the tip and root are OK but the rest
of the wing is wrong due to foam warpage.
4 IMHO the nose radius of the airfoil and its position in relation to the
camber ? chord line.
5 Laminar flow is important on top and bottom of the wing.
6 Control gap seals might help.

Any comments Kim Prout? Give my regards to Paul.

Graham