The trouble with "itty-bitty" fuses

Subject: The trouble with "itty-bitty" fuses
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 17:11:18

>Bob Kunkolls writes <The fuse of choice is the ATC series plastic fuses >
>I have a hard time changing them in my Fords (I am assuming thats the
type). How dow you
>change them without special tools or long fingernails?
>
>Carl Denk: "cdenk@ix.netcom.com"

   Carl,

   The off-the-shelf fuseblocks I stock and recommend have pretty
   generous spacing between devices. A two row by 10 slot fuse holder
   has a mounted footprint of about 3" x 5".  You may be confusing
   the ATC series fuses with a later, subminiature fuse (ATO?)
   showing up on some cars. These fuses are indeed more difficult
   to work with from a maintenance standpoint. A few of my readers
   have used these fuses in thier airplanes by salvaging a fuse-holder
   and harness from an automobile. The result was a VERY compact installation.
   I don't recommend this because you have to salvage the existing harness
   and use butt-splices to incorporate it into your airplane.

   The fuseholders I'm talking about will appear shortly in our
   catalog at <www.aeroelectric.com/Catalog/catalog.html>.  I'm
   a little miffed that the mail order houses haven't caught on with
   this product. Right now, distributors want to sell you a box of
   10 fuse holders.  I asked B&C to stock them several years ago and
   we'll be stocking them shortly.  Take a look at the pictures,
   I think you'll find that concerns you wrote about are nicely
   addressed.

    Regards,

    Bob . . .
    AeroElectric Connection