Re: Performance

Subject: Re: Performance
From: Jerry <jerry@flyinghi.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 08:58:00
> > Can you make any suggestions on what to look out for?  Since I am just
> > beginning, it might be nice to know some possible performance
enhancers.

> Weight, weight and weight would be the first three items on the list
followed
> by aerodynamic cleanliness! Fat planes don't fly fast.
>
> Tony

Whilst being one of the worlds greatest fans of light weight aircraft and
in the process of building the worlds lightest 912 powered kit plane the
notion that weight effects speed does ring all the right bells. It
certainaly effects climb which is directly effected by aircraft weight but
there seems to be little difference on the maximum speed of heavy Europas
against light Europas. In terms of speed I think the aerodynamic
cleanliness is the important factor possibly effected also by the accuracy
of the arofoils achieved by the builders. The greatest variation may be in
the measurement of the aircraft speed. In the fullness of time some
differences may come to light when builders have correlated GPS readings to
ASI

Light aircraft may fly faster when the wings etc have been reduced in size
to carry the reduced weight.

Jerry