Re: Between Doors - 2 ??

Subject: Re: Between Doors - 2 ??
From: Fillinger@aol.com
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 23:27:52
John -- on 10/9 you wrote --

>On Fred's concern about ice buildup in the door tang recess, I can see that
>this could be a problem in the wrong conditions. However the forward tang
>recesses actually extend slightly below the door recess so a drip pan would
>have to be below this, requiring a bit of work (!) to build the appropriate
>shape. I admit to being hesitant to add holes to admit water deliberately --
>water will probably find enough holes on its own.  One potential problem is
in
>descending during a rain shower when the drip pan would be inclined forward,
>wanting to dump its contents onto the instrument panel. Rather than
installing
>a drip pan I would favor avoiding the ice problem by using a cockpit cover
>when parking outside during bad weather.

Thanx for the comments.  Appears you are correct.  Curiously, that's exactly
what happens on my Grumman Traveler, where water enters thru the canopy latch
lever on top, and the trim underneath and inside empties its contents on flap
deployment prior to landing.  The water ruins the flap switch.

Hate to haul around a canopy cover, though.  Maybe a roll on climbout should
be added to the takeoff check list, to empty any water in the recesses! :-)

Regards

Fred Fillinger
A063
Mentor, OH