Re: Fuel Tank Bracket Layups

Subject: Re: Fuel Tank Bracket Layups
From: JohnJMoran@aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 10:25:27
Hi Chuck,

My approach to the forward bracket was to use 4 mil poly for the layup. A 1/2
width piece was temporarily put on the part which was to lay onto the tank
eventually so that it wouldn't stick to the upper part while the lower
section was being squeegeed into place. This piece was lowered into place and
squeegeed onto the seat backs. A 4 foot long section of 1/2 inch plastic pipe
was slid in to prevent it peeling off and the upper part of the glass was
then flopped back over onto the tank. In my case the 1/2" pipe was held up by
the CS14 brackets with bits of foam under the pipe to get it exactly placed
so the glass smoothly transitioned to the tank. I left the 4 mil plastic
which contacts the tank in place permanently since I couldn't figure a way to
get it out and I didn't want to take a chance on the 1/2" pipe getting stuck.
The 1/2 width piece of poly (which was now facing up) was removed at this
point.  This all went very smoothly.

Adding the upper glass section was much more awkward. I ended up cutting it
into 3 equal parts, putting the center section in first.  The poly was
removed from this one and the outer sections were added with 1 inch overlaps
- the poly was left on these until they cured.

Be sure to fix the distance between the baggage bulkhead and the seat back
per Fig 2 while the epoxy cures - I used a foam block between the tank and
the lower part (which is temporarily uppermost) of the seat.

After the epoxy cured, the 1/2" pipe slid right out.

Regards,  John       A044