Progress in Canada

Subject: Progress in Canada
From: Fergus Kyle <fkyle@bigwave.ca>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 18:01:03

                                                          Dear fellow Europa
enthusiasts:

         Herewith an interim remark with regard to the system in place in
Canada.

         We are undergoing a revision in the way our taxes support the very
large,
unwieldy and overlapping governmental functions here. In my case, I pay taxes
for FOUR levels of government, and assorted Boards with decision-making
abilities.
The burden had become so severe that it became apparent to government
folk!
         In attempting to counteract the debilitating effects of overtaxation,
many government functions have been farmed out to citizen associations,
societies,
etc. One of these functions is partial regulation of Home-built aircraft
- this being assigned to the Recreational Aircraft Association.
         Within the RAA are Inspectors whose role it is to sign off prospective
homebuilt aircraft, by means of an inspection schedule.
When application to build is sent to the RAA, they inform the Transport Ministry
and assign an inspector to the 'build'. Apparently the schedule is quite
inflexible
in that the first major inspection is expected to be a large collection
of prepared sub-assemblies.
         Because of the nature of the kit, a few subassemblies        cannot be
completed until enspected and signed off. The Stabilator rib reinforcement is
one. I have not room for more than one assembly at a time, and so must abandon
the stabilator assembly temporarily in order to begin the wing construction
- so that I will have a sufficient         display for the intended inspection.
This is not described in the RAA manifesto and so was unknown to me. It means
a rebuild of the assembly room for the wing, and then a second rebuild to
accomodate
the delayed rail feathers completion - and the heating/cooling arrangements
are all in need of revision - our outside air varies over 70 celsius degrees
with the seasons.
          So as a precaution to Canadian asporants - get a detailed description
of the inspection process before assessing your capabilities to build the
aircraft!
                                               ..........and may the Force
be with you.
Happy Landings,