Skin Temps on composite wings

Subject: Skin Temps on composite wings
From: Herbert F. Kilian <HKilian@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 09:58:30
Message text written by INTERNET:europa@avnet.co.uk
>Could you please give me the details of the manufacturer of the ASW 24 of
yours so that I can contact them to try and get hold of one of these skin
temperature sensors<

Ron,
you must have misunderstood me, the Katana DA20 has a structural (In the
spar bridge behind the pilot) temp. indicator, not my ASW 24 glider.
Anyway, Diamond Aircraft which manufactures the Katana  is located in
Hamilton, Ontario in Canada and they may be able to help you.  I am sure
they have a web-site somewhere...
Obviously, the structural temp is of importance.  Surface temperature is an
indicator, however.  With the good thermal insulation gelcoat, fiberglass
and the foam cores provide, I speculate that the spar temperature for
example might be quite a bit lower than the wing surface we can measure.
Again, I would not be concerned to exceed the structural temperature limits
of our composite airplanes, as long as they are whitish!

Regards,
Herb