Re: Europa XS Details

Subject: Re: Europa XS Details
From: Warren Webb <wwebb@dot.net.au>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 16:14:26
Dear Alizon,

I saw the announcement of the Europa XS in the Europa forum recently.  I
very excited about the proposed new kit.

As you may recall, I have been approaching the starting post for the Europa
project for a little while, but I must say that one of the major reasons
that I have vascillated a little has been the trouble that many of the
builders have experienced, particularly with the construction of the wings
and other fibreglassing requirements.  After reading of the unpleasant
experiences of many of the builders and the reports of very much extended
building times and the discussion of proceedures that appear to be very
daunting, I have been having serious reservations particularly as I am
a first time builder and my building skills are very under developed.  I
could see the project becoming a huge task and one which which was
obvioiusly going to take much longer and be far more complicated than
initially anticipated.

It was for these reasons that the announcement of the XS version has
whetted my appetite again.  I am keen to get very much into the building
process and the thought of being able to not only enjoy the construction
but also to be able to one day (in the reasonably foreseeable future) take
to the skies in a wonderful aircraft that I was very much instrumental in
constructing is something I find very inspiring and almost irresistible.
However, I would very much welcome the possibility of escaping the
seemingly hundreds of hours sanding and the frustrations that all those
little pin holes seem to create and as the whole concept of the project is
to build and then fly the plane, anything that will assist to short circuit
some of the more labourious and difficult tasks and to  hasten the eventual
arrival at the flightline will gain my whole hearted support.

Just a few Q & A's if you have time...

1.        I think I would like to purchase the kit in stages.  Would you let me
know what each stage consists of.  I note the fin now comes with the
fuselage, so I'm wondering how each stage is made up and what work is
required in each stage.

2.        Could yo give me any more details about the wings and what is required
to complete them..  Do the flaps and ailerons still have to be constructed
as before?

3.        I am keen to put am economic fuel injected motor in the plane and I
would love to have some info on the BMW or any other alternative engine in
this category.

I have been scouring the internet and awaiting any further info on the XS
or the latest engine and variable pitch prop developments, but I have been
unable to find any newsletters after October 1996.  I understand the XS may
now not be ready for Oshkosh.  Have you got any photos or any other
material on the XS to help me in my quandry.  And Finally...

4.        If I placed the order for the first stage of the XS now, approximately
how long would it take to be dispached and what is the availability for the
other stages.  (I am in the process of selling my home, which is taking a
little longer than anticipated, but I would like to get started ASAP, at
least with the first stage)

It looks like the first Australian Europa is about to take to the skies and
we are all very excited about the prospect.  This will hopefully be the
first of many that will be taking off in the near future.

Good luck for Oshkosh...  (wish I was going...)  but hopefully I'll be at
Sun 'n Fun to see this little marvel in the flesh.

Best regards

Warren Webb