EXP-Bus Safety?

Subject: EXP-Bus Safety?
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <RNuckolls@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 12:29:09
   If the starter contactor sticks, you have no way to shut
   the starter down until the battery gives up (had one melt
   down severely in a Glasair) or the starter burns out.

 /NOT SURE HOW TO INTERPRET THIS. THE EXP USES THE STARTER
 /INPUT TO  AUTOMATICALLY SHUT DOWN THE AVIONICS BUSS DURING
 /STARTS. A BIG PLUS IN  MY BOOK IN THAT IT'LL MAKE MY VISITS
 /TO THE RADIO SHOP FAR MORE INFREQUENT.

   Actually, starter "glitches and spikes" were never really
   a radio killer issue . . . low bus voltage was. I was at Cessna
   in the 60's when the avionics master switch was born. Airplanes
   sitting in the delivery patch would be 30-60 days before delivery.
   Batteries got low and when a pilot jumped in to take delivery
   of the airplane, quite often the battery would just barely
   pull the engine up on compression and quit.  The fragile,
   germanium transistors of the time would come out of saturation
   in the power supplies, go into second breakdown and voila, "my
   starter just killed my radio."

   It took us years later to understand the phenomenon and in the
   mean time, DO-160 says you'll design a radio to take anything
   an airplane will throw at it. Germanium has long since been
   replaced by more rugged silicon.  Radio manufacturers have become
   a lot smarter.  Alternator runaway overvoltage is the only
   "gremlin" left to guard against.

   The issue I was speaking to was the sticking of the main terminal
   pathway in a starter contactor . .  one of the most common occurances
   in the Stancore 70 series contactors (old RBM controls devices
   used in most Cessnas and offered by Aircraft Spruce).  If your starter is
   powered directly from the battery hot post via a single contactor,
   sticking of that contactor gets you an uncontrollable starter
   runaway.  If you look at how certified ships have always been
   wired, shutting of the battery master always shuts off the starter
   too . . . irrespective of the starter contactor condition.

 ---------------

   The self-reseting nature of poly-fuses can hide a latent failure;
   you can be suffering intermittant short that you don't catch
   because the poly-switch resets when the short clears. I'd prefer
   to have the fuse/breaker open immediately letting me know that
   something is going on that needs attention before the next flight.

 /FORGET ABOUT THE ANNUNCIATOR PANEL?  ALSO BREAKERS RARELY OPERATE
 /AT THE SAME VALUE ( ERROR CAN EQUAL X 100s%) EACH TIME AND I REFUSE
 /TO CONSIDER OR DISCUSS FUSES.

   Don't understand . . most airplanes have no annunciator panel. The
   latent failure is a condition that is hidden to the pilot and if
   intermittant in nature, can lurk around for a long time before
   it's presence is noted.  If a self reseting poly-switch masks it's
   existence, then many opportunities to note it and fix it are lost.

 -----------

   The last time I looked at an EXP-Bus and it's competitors at
   OSH last year, they were both dropping wires directly to pads on
   a p.c. board with no insulation support. After going to the trouble
   to use PIDG terminals on the rest of your wiring, it seems prudent
   that insulation support in the rest of the system would be nice.

 /A BUCK OR 2 AT THE LOCAL ELECTRONICS SUPPLY WILL SOLVE THIS ONE

   How? One could apply RTV around the wires where they go into the
   board for additional support. . . .
 --------------

   One version of the EXP-Bus installation uses the terminals of the
   switches to suport the etched circuit board. This adds mechanical
   stresses to the switch terminals for which they were not designed.
   Slight mis-alignment of the row of switches would aggravate the problem.

 /AN HONEST CONCERN OF MINE. REMOTELY MOUNTED SWITCHES ELIMINATE THIS
 /POTENTIAL PROBLEM.

   Sure . . . so when you've dismounted the switches the number of
   wire segments required to assemble the airplane is the same as if
   you'd used either fuse-blocks or circuit breakers . . . therefore,
   no time or effort saved as compared with fuse-blocks, it does
   still eliminate the time to lay out and fabricate a breaker panel
   and it saves the panel space too.

   It just occured to me that EXP-Bus wiring as I perceive it currently
   offers no opportunity to incorporate the a battery-maximizing
   essential bus concept for dealing with alternator or battery master
   relay failures.

    Regards,

    Bob . . .
    AeroElectric Connection