EXP-Bus Safety?

Subject: EXP-Bus Safety?
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <RNuckolls@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 00:45:29

 << My critical assessment of the advertisement for the EXP-Bus
 << was that it saves neither time, weight, dollars nor does it add any
 << level of safety over other circuit protection methods and
 << I explained why I thought so.

 /Does it subtract any level of safety?  In other words is
 /it dangerous? Other that having a long battery line that is
 /always hot?

   Not running the starter cranking current through the battery
   master is a safety issue. If the starter contactor sticks,
   you have no way to shut the starter down until the battery
   gives up (had on melt down severely in a Glasair) or the starter
   burns out.

   The self-reseting nature of poly-fuses can hide a latent failure;
   you can be suffering intermittant short that you don't catch
   because the poly-switch resets when the short clears. I'd prefer
   to have the fuse/breaker open immediately letting me know that
   something is going on that needs attention before the next flight.

   The last time I looked at an EXP-Bus and it's competitors at
   OSH last year, they were both dropping wires directly to pads on
   a p.c. board with no insulation support. After going to the trouble
   to use PIDG terminals on the rest of your wiring, it seems prudent
   that insulation support in the rest of the system would be nice.

   One version of the EXP-Bus installation uses the terminals of the
   switches to suport the etched circuit board. This adds mechanical
   stresses to the switch terminals for which they were not designed.
   Slight mis-alignment of the row of switches would aggravate the problem.

       Regards,

    Bob . . .
    AeroElectric Connection
                   ////