Re: FLYING - long trips

Subject: Re: FLYING - long trips
From: Alan Stewart <alans@kbss.bt.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 11:15:16

RE: Overnight stays on long trips.

I agree Graham,

In my case there was overnight accomodation at my brothers which I took
advantage of, and I have other friends in the area too.

Typically, it might require a taxi ride into town, followed by an overnight
stay in a guest house.

My main concern is backup, should something go wrong. I'm assuming
the most likely scenario would be weather deterioration/diversion, forcing
an unscheduled stopover, possibly in an unfamiliar area. In this case it might
just be expensive and inconvenient. (In the worst case the aircraft might
have to be retrieved much later, requiring perhaps, the purchase a return
ticket on public transport)

The second scenario I can forsee is engine/mechanical problems and I'm assuming
either a successful forced landing in a rural area, or being stranded at an
en-route airfield. (Again a double journey might be necessary). I can see the
merit of having a trailer nearby, together with experienced technical assistance
to call upon. There are so many of us around the country now that it might
well be worthwhile setting up some form of support group. (making available
temporary hangarage, trailers, mechanical expertise).

The West of Scotland and Wales are among the scenic and remote parts of the UK.
The aircraft makes them both accessible in a matter of hours, at the time when
you'd most want to go (stable, fine weather). Confidence that support might be
available should things not go according to plan, would make the journey much
easier.

alan

PS. I'm quite sure there are stacks of really attractive destinations. I
mention the two above, mainly due to personal prejudice !