Re: The mystery "matching" circuit . . .

Subject: Re: The mystery "matching" circuit . . .
From: Ember <ember@cariblink.net>
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 19:58:16
Robert L. Nuckolls, III wrote:

>...............................>
>    I believe what you have is a (1) battery to provide an independent source
>    of microphone bias. (2) a resistor to allow d.c. energy to be coupled to
>    the microphone circuit without seriously loading the audio output.
>    (3) a capacitor to couple just the audio component of the microphone signal
>    over to the radio without upsetting the bias to the microphone . . .
>    IRRESPECTIVE of the characteristics of other microphones that share
>    the input.
>

>    Yes, this circuit does make sense and yes, you could have built it for
>    a very little cost. I rather suspect there is nothing on the other
>    side of the etched circuit board you mentioned. I'll guess that the
>    resistor is on the order of 100 ohms (about 50 ma of bias to the microphone
>    assuming half of the 9 volt battery is dropped across the resistor).
>    Any electrolytic capacitor on the order of 10uF or more would suffice
>    for audio coupling.
>
>    Bob . . .

                Bob,
                        I have built several headsets but have one with a
microphone
failure.   I want to replace the microphone unit with a regular
noise-cancelling microphone but presumably I need an amplifier as the
output of the electret will not provide sufficient voltage swing to
drive the first stage of the transmitter.   Can you recommend a suitable
circuit - preferably operating from the aircraft transciever microphone
input ?

                Regards,

                Martin

                9Y4TAM