The mystery "matching" circuit . . .

Subject: The mystery "matching" circuit . . .
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <72770.552@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 22:52:56
 /The impedance matcher that I purchased was to allow two
 /different manufacturers headsets to work on the same
 /radio/intercom system without transmitting problems. Now
 /I understand that on newer systems, the impedance matching
 /circuit is built into the radio, but on the old ones it is
 /not, and therefore requires two headsets if equal impedance.
 /I also assume that we are talking about microphone impedance
 /as the gizmo plugs into the mike input, and the mike jack
 /plugs into the gizmo.

   Aha!!!! now I understand. I thought we were talking about a headset
   system.  I'll bet it has to do with the voltage drop across dissimilar
   microphones. A bit of history . . . .

   Like all things having to do with aviation, certifciation and
   regulation has plowed us into technological ruts while the rest
   of the world enjoys new and improved products on a cycle of every
   few years.

   Microphone circuits in aircraft radios are carry-overs from the
   very FIRST aircraft radios that used carbon granule microphones
   not unlike those used in telephones for about the past 100 years.
   These microphones looked like a variable resistor who's value
   wobbled around at a audio rate. To convert this resitance wobble
   into a voltage wobble, a small amount of current had to be impressed
   across the microphone. In the very early days, an audio transformer
   allowed a few volts d.c. to be applied to the microphone while running
   the current through the primary. The secondary drove the grid of the
   first audio stage vacuum tube.  Later, transistorized "matching"
   circuits were readily applied to accomodate the carbon microphone's
   power requirements . . . in spite of the fact that the carbon microphone
   went the way of the dinosaur a long time ago.

   Modern noise canceling microphones are electret elements and quite
   suited to interface with a more contemporary audio systems but for
   the sake of "standarization", manufacturer's are obliged to make
   modern microphones look electrically like antique microphones
   so they will function well with aircraft radios.

   The problem you are working with is most certainly driven by the
   fact that there are no standards for uniformity from one manufacturer's
   microphone to another for votlage dropped across the microhone's
   electronics when biased up with the somewhat standard audio input
   circuits for most transmitters.  So, when you parallel dissimilar
   microphones, the one that draws the most current and/or operates
   at a lower voltage "steals" bias current away from the other microphone.

   I believe what you have is a (1) battery to provide an independent source
   of microphone bias. (2) a resistor to allow d.c. energy to be coupled to
   the microphone circuit without seriously loading the audio output.
   (3) a capacitor to couple just the audio component of the microphone signal
   over to the radio without upsetting the bias to the microphone . . .
   IRRESPECTIVE of the characteristics of other microphones that share
   the input.

 /The funny thing is, that it actually seems to work, but
 /I must admit, I don't really know why. To be honest, having
 /spent all that money, I feel a little reluctant to prise the
 /circuit board off of the double sided tape to see if there
 /is anything underneath the board, for fear of tearing the
 /tracks and ending up with an overpriced battery, box and
 /capacitor that no longer works.

   Yes, this circuit does make sense and yes, you could have built it for
   a very little cost. I rather suspect there is nothing on the other
   side of the etched circuit board you mentioned. I'll guess that the
   resistor is on the order of 100 ohms (about 50 ma of bias to the microphone
   assuming half of the 9 volt battery is dropped across the resistor).
   Any electrolytic capacitor on the order of 10uF or more would suffice
   for audio coupling.

   Bob . . .