Grounding Shielded Wires

Subject: Grounding Shielded Wires
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <72770.552@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 18:06:33
/Question. Which end of a shielded wire should be run to
/ground?

  Shielding of wires adds a modicum of protection for
  two kinds of propogation into or out of a wire:

  The physical positioning of two wires together
  in the same bundle causes them to couple to
  each other in two ways - electrostatic and
  electromagnetic.  A wire which carries high
  frequency noise in less than an idealized
  "trasmission line" mode will radiate components
  of that noise just like an antenna.

  Electromagnetic coupling occurs as a result of
  a magnetic field which MUST exist about any wire
  carrying a flow of electrons. Any modulation of
  intensity (some signal component other than pure
  d.c.) in a wire makes it the primary winding of
  a transformer. Adjacent wires are potential
  "secondaries".

  Electrostatic coupling occurs any time there
  is a dynamic (rapidly changing) voltage difference
  between adjacent conductors. The insulation between
  wires (including the air space) acts just like the
  dielectric of a capacitor and some amount of the
  antagonist's signal can couple into parallel routed
  victims.

  Radiated noises travel about just as the signals
  into and out of the antenna on your hand held radio.

  Shielding will attenuate electro-static coupling
  a great deal. Electro-magnetic coupling is only
  slightly attenuated by common shielding techniques.
  Attenuation of radiated coupling with shields falls
  somewhere between the values for electrostatic and
  electromagnetic coupling.

  As a general rule, I ground the shield on one
  end only and to the device for which we're building
  a noise-wall.

What are the criteria for requiring shielded wires?

  Before you can decide which end to ground, you must
  first decide if shielding is a good idea. You have
  to decide which devices in the airplane are potential
  victims and which are potential antagonists. You also
  need to decide what propogation modes exists between
  V/A pairs and how the propogation can be attenuated
  to acceptable levels or eliminated.

  Obvious antagonsist are ignition wires. Spark plug
  wires seldom run in bundles with other wires but they
  are strong potential antagonists -AND- radiators.
  So, we use resitance wire to de-qualify the conductors
  and good carriers of high frequency energy -AND-
  shield them to keep all the noises bottled up inside.

  Obvious victims are audio systems, signal lines between
  radios and VOR indicators, small signal lines between
  encoders and transponders, etc.

  All three propogation modes can prevail but the strongest
  is electrostatic.  The best defence against electrostatic
  coupling is distance . .  don't put vicitm wires in same
  bundles with antagonist wires . . . same thing works well
  for electro-magnetic coupling  . . . but electromagnetic
  coupling is pretty weak unless the antagonist wire carries
  lots of current . . . 10 amp or more.

  The strongest defence against electromagnetic coupling is the
  twisted pair of wires . . will touch on that again later. Shielding
  both victim and antagonist wires will help with attenuating
  the electrostatic modes. Radiated coupling is very rare.
  Shielding of victim wires is sometimes helpful but you
  generally don't have much problem with radiated victimization
  unless the victim is badly designed.

/I saw a friends professionally wired Lancair IVP
/(P for Pile of money), and it has shields on almost
/all the radio wires, grounded at the radio/electronic
/goodie.  I didn't see where the alternator output was
/grounded, (actually he has 2).

  It's not uncommon for an amateur builder to consider the
  things I've just written above and throw his hands up.
  There's about a million possibilities and he's right.
  So, you can either shield everything in hopes that you've
  covered all the potential problems but I assure you.
  It's heavy, time consuming and for the most part, totally
  unnecessary.

/Specificially where should you ground the:
/Radio power leads

  Everything behind the panel should get power ground from
  a single point if possible. I developed the firewall/panel
  ground bus that B&C builds especially for this purpose.
  Single point grounding eliminates the possiblity for noises
  getting into systems via other paths (i.e. ground loops -
  QUITE common in composite airplanes).

/Headset stuff

  Headsets are quite happy wired with twisted pairs and no
  shielding. Insulate the headset jack from local ground
  where it mounts and ground via one lead of the twisted
  pair to the "headset ground" or "headset LO" pin on the
  audio system.

  Microphones too will work quite nicely in most systems as
  a twisted trio of wires . . . again, insulate jack at point
  of attachment to airframe and gound to appropriate pin on
  audio system.

  I've been stocking a 5-conductor, shielded cable that I
  used on my installations. Two conductors for headset,
  three for microphone/push-to-talk and a separate shield
  ground over the bundle.  The shield and microphone LO tie
  together at the audio system.

/Alternator output wire

  Shielding this wire is totally unncessary . . . I know,
  thousands of Cessnas do it and for the life of me, I don't
  know why. I was working at Cessna when some of the ADF
  noise problems were being worked on the "new" line
  of ARC 300 series radios. A capacitor on the alternator
  -AND- shielding of the alternator wires were added too
  but I don't recall any quantitive testing done to justify
  the shielding . . . the filter took most of the noise out
  of the ADF . . . shielding MIGHT have helped some VHF
  comm systems but I kinda doubt it.

/Alternator field wire

  Same as above.

/What others should use shielded wire?

  Anything recommended by the manufacturer of a product.
  For example, the strobe folks usually supply a shielded
  trio for their strobe heads.  Audio/Intercomm System
  manufacturers should be very explicit as to where
  shielded wire is necessary or recommended. They should
  also tell you EXACTLY where to ground it. Same thing
  goes for any other black boxes in your avionics suite.

  For the most part, I find that 95% of builder problems
  with noise are a result of architecture (too many ground
  behind the panel, poor wire routing considerations) or
  failure to follow manufacturer's instructions.

  Shielding is some help on some noise problems. However,
  you cannot predict that shielding is going to be the fix
  of choice without knowing the antagonist/vicitm/propogation
  mode for a particular noise problem, . . . most of the time,
  shielding won't help.

  This is why it's so important to pay attention to ALL noise
  control techniques. Let me wire your airplane and I'll bet
  I can get it to run noise-free with NO shielding on any
  wires behind the panel.

  About 10 years ago, when the 'Connection was just getting
  started, one of my readers called and told me about all
  the shielding and filters he'd installed on his airplane.
  He then asked if there were any other filters I'd recommend.
  I asked if he was having a noise problem and he told me that
  he'd not yet flown the airplane!  This guy had invested
  POUNDS and HOURS in a noise reduction system that may well
  have produced no positive results if other considerations
  were not a part of his overall noise control program.

  I recommended that he take it all out and get rid of the
  weight and complexity. IF and WHEN he had a noise problem,
  we'd work out the VAP (victim/antagonist/propogation) loop
  and fix it.

      Regards,

    Bob . . .
    AeroElectric Connection