Re: Outrigger Latch Trimming

Subject: Re: Outrigger Latch Trimming
From: europa aviation ltd <enquiries@europaaviation.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 09:33:33

>I just got through setting up the outriggers and I have an uneasy feeling
>that I should have been a little more careful in grinding away the step on
>OR4 to fit.  I ground off a little at a time until the step would just slip
>past the pawl (OR7A) with a mil or 2 clearance.  Then, once it slipped past
>and latched, a gap would open up because of the angle of OR7A which would
>cause considerable play in the fully latched outrigger leg.  I resolved that
>the second one would be a better fit and was more careful, but to my dismay,
>it came out exactly the same!  Well, at least they match!
>
>Slipping in a feeler gage in between the step of OR4 and the latching surface
>of OR7A sufficient to remove all of the play, I find that in both legs the
>gap is .028" when the flap is fully extended and the OR latched.  This seems
>like a lot of free play, especially out at the wheel end.  How about it,
>guys, is this too much and should I start again?  Has anybody else gaged this
>clearance?
>
>Also, I found it necessary to grind the spring attach end of OR4 to get
>clearance with the wing undersurface while extending the flaps and gear.
> This should be done sparingly--the result should be a straight line parallel
>to the wing undersurface and with no more than 1 mm clearance with the wing.
> Grind too much and you end up with too much play when in the gear up
>position.  How do I know this?  Heh.  Ah well, I guess that I can build it up
>again with weld and then grind it right this time. :-(
>
>Now, if I could just do this all over again, I KNOW that I could get it
>right!
>
>TIA for sharing any insights.
>
>Pops
>US#A36

Your clearance of.028" is O.K.  The geometry requires an "overcentre" to
stop vibration, shock loads, etc. from collapsing the outrigger mechanism.
This overcentre does give clearance of the order you have measured, so you
did it right.

However the bit on the top that you have ground away should have been left
on, since its purpose is to keep the leg from dangling down when in the
retracted position.  Instread of removing this upper "cam" it is necessary
to remove a small section of the lower close out skin, just wide enough to
accommodate the OR4.

Regards,

Roger Bull
Web Site at www.europa-aviation.co.uk