Outrigger Latch Trimming

Subject: Outrigger Latch Trimming
From: ChuckPops@aol.com
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 1997 11:55:42

I just got through setting up the outriggers and I have an uneasy feeling
that I should have been a little more careful in grinding away the step on
OR4 to fit.  I ground off a little at a time until the step would just slip
past the pawl (OR7A) with a mil or 2 clearance.  Then, once it slipped past
and latched, a gap would open up because of the angle of OR7A which would
cause considerable play in the fully latched outrigger leg.  I resolved that
the second one would be a better fit and was more careful, but to my dismay,
it came out exactly the same!  Well, at least they match!

Slipping in a feeler gage in between the step of OR4 and the latching surface
of OR7A sufficient to remove all of the play, I find that in both legs the
gap is .028" when the flap is fully extended and the OR latched.  This seems
like a lot of free play, especially out at the wheel end.  How about it,
guys, is this too much and should I start again?  Has anybody else gaged this
clearance?

Also, I found it necessary to grind the spring attach end of OR4 to get
clearance with the wing undersurface while extending the flaps and gear.
 This should be done sparingly--the result should be a straight line parallel
to the wing undersurface and with no more than 1 mm clearance with the wing.
 Grind too much and you end up with too much play when in the gear up
position.  How do I know this?  Heh.  Ah well, I guess that I can build it up
again with weld and then grind it right this time. :-(

Now, if I could just do this all over again, I KNOW that I could get it
right!

TIA for sharing any insights.

Pops
US#A36