Re: Tony's Builder Hints Contest

Subject: Re: Tony's Builder Hints Contest
From: Peter S. Lert <peterlert@montrose.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 19:18:45
JohnJMoran@aol.com wrote:

> Another entry for Tony's contest...
>
> An electric router of the type used for woodworking is ideal for making the
> rebates for the W18 plates. Took about 10 minutes to get the depth set by
> trial and error on scrap foam, then about 20 minutes to make all rebates for
> both wings. Of course, you have to sand the edges by hand to make a smooth
> transition.
>
> The router is also useful in setting the rebate depth in the foam around the
> edge of the aileron bellcrank access window once the top glass is removed.
>  And if the router depth is set much deeper, the hole through the center of
> the access window can then be roughed out including foam and the lower layer
> of glass. A Dremel with a sanding drum is the easiest way to do the final
> adjustment of this hole's bottom edge, then use the Dremel wire brush to
> remove a little foam for the flox corners.
>
> One drawback to using the router is that it turns foam and/or fiberglass to
> powder. The dust is as hazardous as that produced by sanding these materials,
> so use appropriate safeguards.
>
> Regards,
> John,  #A044

Also exceedingly handy for the rebates in the TP cores, etc.  But since
all of these are light-duty jobs, before you go out and buy a whole
router, you can pick up the router attachment for your trusty Dremel
tool (you _do_ have a Dremel, don't you?) for all of $27.99.  What I did
for the TP rebates was, first, use an extremely tiny bit to rout a line
right to dimension, getting nice square corners, then took the Dremel
sanding drum, which normally has a central screw that protrudes a bit
past the end of the sandpaper, and slid the paper off just far enough to
get past the screw (readjusting router depth accordingly, of course).
Works a treat, at least on "no resistance" stuff like foam, and I think
the little Dremel is a lot easier to maneuver than the "real men's" type
1 1/2 hp woodworking router.

You're right about the dust, though--although at the moment I have the
annual winter Flu and one more bout of paroxysmal coughing won't make
any difference!