Re: Instrument panel

Subject: Re: Instrument panel
From: Miles McCallum <milesm@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 17:20:11
Whoops.... just sent this to Tony, and not all...

>>Miles, a few things....
>>
>>Did you have trouble getting your spar to lay straight? I had a pig of a
time with mine.

         >It does wobble a bit -the critical reference is the hole in the
bush: I made a exactly fitting mandrel, and set up the foam block alignment
lines at each end to be parallel with that (hope you have an electronic
level....)

>>Are you running wing tip lights  and strobes? I am just working out mine
at the present time.

        >Nope: daytime VFR over here, and minimum weight is a very high
priority.

>>Did you have any problems with the trim tabs? I have one that has
developed an "interesting" curve downwards
>>at the outboard end. It is straight until the hinge and then sags by 2.5mm
by the end. I can fill the gap on the
>>upper surface and ignore the lower but it won't get me the Air NZ trophy
for best homebuilt!!

        >We used 7/8 X 7/8 X 1/8 ali channel, bonded on with ampreg, a layer
of peelply between the channel and the part to keep things straight: stays
on until after postcuring, and cracks off fine. I assume you are refering to
the hinge flange on the tab: in which case, try heating it very gently, and
then clamp it between 2 very rigid bars to let to cool straight.

>>Are Interactive on the net?
>
        >don't think so.
>
>>And finally, how is the BRS planning coming on?
>
        >Proving to be somewhat problematical re installation engineering:
Need to attach the primary strap forward of CG -engine mount being
favourite, and 2 others aft: this requires a special fuselage molding
(possibly both top and bottom) so straps can be laid in "rip out" channels.
Each mounting point must be able to take a load of about 8000 lbs... but
both Europa and BRS are being very supportive.

>It is possible that it can't be done without designing the system into the
structure from the start: low wing composite a/c are a worse case from a
design point of view.... don't hold yer breath!