Re: BMW Engine

Subject: Re: BMW Engine
From: Miles McCallum <milesm@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 09:48:49
>Saw photos of the BMW conversion in the current issue of EAA Experimenter
>magazine.  Looks impressive.  Since I am not a motorcycle enthusiast
>(sp?) can some one let me know if this is totally air cooled, water
>cooled or hybred water and air engine?

This is an air/oil cooled engine: essentially it's aircooled, but BMW run
oil galleries past the exhaust valve seats (claim: lowers temps there by 70
C.) before passing it through an oil cooler and back to the sump.

Apart from an old version of the motronic engine management system (2.2 vs
around 6.0 for the cars) it's a fairly up to the minute engine and certainly
on the shortlist -especially as spares distribution is likely to be even
more widespread than Rotax... if you need them. (Rather cheaper too, I'll bet)

Miles