Re: Door latch safety catches.

Subject: Re: Door latch safety catches.
From: John Grant <grantdes@ayla.avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 11:42:21
>I seem to remember there was a posting on these a long time ago, but I
>seem unable to find it. A reposting would be appreciated.
>regards
>--
>Rolph Muller
>_
Yes Rolph, it was around 18/2/96 (Factory response) concerning possible
legal implications for the factory if it responded openly to builders
concerns.
I suggested that a factory response to my concern that there was no safety
catch would be unlikely because 'if the unthinkable happened' it might be
shown that they were aware but had taken no action.

Needless to say I was flamed, branded a whinger and asked to leave the forum.

It's a shame really, a builder's forum should be the ideal medium for openly
disscussing builders concerns either taking them up with the factory, or
laying them to rest by reasoned debate.
Unfortunately it seems that 'negative comments' are not allowed here or the
Europa magazine (see latest editorial).

There will always be a desire to suppress criticism or concerns if you earn
your living from selling kits or engines; but that suppression can have
safety implications.

It was quite obvious from Sod's law that a rolled up shirt sleeve would
cause the door to depart, just a matter of time. (If it can go wrong, it
will go wrong).  It may be good news and very 'positive' that it ended with
a safe landing and no one on the ground injured but 'what if' it was piloted
by a less experienced pilot making a turn onto finals at low speed?

Would it not have been better if my 'negative comments' had been accepted as
a genuine concern and not a personal attack on their beloved leader.

John Grant (50

........That's whinge with a 'W'....