Re: >>I believe that the minimun legal requirement for flighInstruments

Subject: Re: >>I believe that the minimun legal requirement for flighInstruments
From: Graham Singleton <100421.2123@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 19:51:43
>>I believe that the minimun legal requirement for flight instruments is an ASI,
Altimeter, and compass. Does anyone know if these have to be 3 separate
instruments?<<

Can't answer that question, however, FWIW Since the most valuable instrument is
an angle of attack meter, I would have thought what you suggest would be OK. Big
advantage of the RMI device is that it gives you density altitude, and that can
be important, if only to remind you not to expect a 5 second lift off on a hot
day in the Alps. Or the Rockies. Trouble with the ASI as a flight instrument, it
can only tell you that you stalled 5 or 10 seconds ago, not that you are about
to. I suspect it's possible to hook up an ASI to read AoA by connecting the
pitot line to static and the static to a tapping on the leading edge of the
wing. Sorry if I've bored you all before with this.
Graham