Magellan GPS 2000

Subject: Magellan GPS 2000
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <72770.552@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 14:52:13
     rv-list@matronics.com;
     kitfox@colorado.edu;
     europa@avnet.co.uk

 >Bob,
 >
 >Just read your nice article in the October Comanche Flyer and I agree
 >with most of what you wrote.  It seem less than economical to spend
 >two thousand dollars on a GPS when most of the same info can be obtained
 >on a much less expensive version. . . . . .

   The operative words here are "most of the same" to which I would
   add "most of the time."

 >the 2000 have adequate reception when being used "inside" the environs
 >of a Comanche, or whatever?  It's been my experience that if a GPS
 >does not have an externally mounted antenna, acquisition of
 >the required number of satellites is difficult.  I also understand
 >that an antenna kit is not available for the 2000, only the 4000,
 >and at a price of $139.99.

    All of my experience with the GPS-2000 in cars and airplanes
    has been with the receiver up on the cowl deck or dashboard
    to maximize view of the sky out the windshield.  The receiver
    annunciated adequate view of sky for navigation most of the time.
    On occasion, it would flash a warning for a few seconds to a
    minute or so.  Right after an 90-degree change of heading at 160
    kts, it would get confused and take perhaps a minute to two
    minutes to get back on track.

 >Until recently, I flew BE-90's for an air ambulance company here in
 >Albuquerque.  They provided some fancy "handhelds" for us to use when
 >flying into some out-of-the-way places we frequented.  An antenna was
 >attached to the GPS and had a little suction cup to hold it in the side or
 >front wind screen, moving it around to obtain better reception.
 >Anyway, I would be somewhat concerned about a unit without some type
 >of external antenna.
 >
 >If you have a moment, let me know what your experience has been with
 >an in-flight situation using the 2000.

    In no way am I suggesting that inexpensive hand-helds are a
    REPLACEMENT for the more expensive panel mounts or hand helds
    with external antennas.  The thrust of the article was to suggest
    that pilots NOT PUT OFF buying a GPS receiver because they
    cannot currently afford the one they want.  I'll further suggest that
    a $200 hand-held can put the miracle of GPS navigation in IMMEDIATE
    reach of everyone while they save up the bucks for their
    "dream" receiver.  When the big guy gets bolted to the panel,
    the little guy can retire to the map case as a handy backup
    for panel mounted stuff.  Yes . . . the GPS 2000 does drop
    out from time to time under certain conditions but by-in-large,
    I found it's performance in terms of continuity of updates entirely
    ADEQUATE for VFR navigation. I don't think I'm in too much
    danger of getting lost for the few minutes that the little feller
    goes off in the corner to think about where we're at! When it
    does know where we are, it's accuracy was as good as or better
    than the panel mounted Loran-C.

    Thank you for your feedback!

    Regards,

    Bob . . .