Re: Magellan GPS 2000

Subject: Re: Magellan GPS 2000
From: ChuckPops@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 16:00:33
There has been some discussion as to whether a handheld GPS can be a primary,
or at least, a secondary navaid.  I have been using a Garmin 45 (read marine)
GPS for about 2 years, paid about $275 for it, and am fully convinced that it
was the best $275 that I have ever spent!  This model has no built-in
database, but every time that you land at, or pass over an airfield, you can
enter it into your specialized database by name with a keystroke!  I have
built up about 100 waypoints over this time--every field that I have any
intention of considering for potential use.

I mount it near the top of the panel of both my Avid Flyer and my J-3 Kitten
using Velcro, such that it has a view of the sky through the windscreen.  I
have never had any trouble with the unit acquiring the satellites quickly.  I
have found no panel-mounted GPS which has a comparably user-friendly
interface, but again, I'm not yet acquainted with the latest and hottest
avionics!

The only problem that I have experienced with this unit was that initially,
it would shut itself off at random occasions.  Then I would have to turn it
on again and let it acquire the satellites all over again.  It turned out
that if the power is interrupted for even a millisecond, the unit will shut
itself off.  The vibration on the panel was sufficient to cause such
occasional shutoffs, since I discovered that when I held it in my hand, it
would operate reliably.  I used the internal AA batteries, which apparently
vibrated enough to cause intermittent contact.  Stretching the battery
contact springs and adding conductive foam inside the springs has eliminated
the problem.

Happy flying!

Chuck     US#36