Re: BMW engine

Subject: Re: BMW engine
From: skypilot <skypilot@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 21:40:37
Graham Singleton wrote:

> Hi Skip,
> No the BMW hasn't run yet so far as I know but it should be fairly soon.
> Graham

Hello all,

Here's the go, forget the BMW; why not a diesel in the Europa?

I read an article, Zoche Diesels, in the June PILOT magazine (UK) about
a Germam, Michael Zoche "developing a new generation of turbocharged
diesels for light aircraft running on cheap jet fuel" it goes on to say
"they offer enormous potential - but there are problems."  (:-{

They claim a 172/cherokee 160 would have a near 1,000 mile range!

The benefits: no valves to burn out; no icing; no magnetos to fail; no
plugs to foul; for the engine no electrics at all (although they do
write about "The injection pressures have risen from a few hundred psi
to 20,00psi - and 40,000psi is in prospect. Electronic control increases
precision.")

They claim a compact aircooled four cylinder turbo-charged direct drive
radial would produce 150 hp (would the europa be able to handle that?);
two cylinders 90hp and 8 cylinder radial 300hp (how would the europa
look with an 8 cylinder radial up front? M E A N!!! (how about 2
cylinders then?) From what they say the engines are quite compact.

Food for thought? Get the magazine, read the article it seems to make a
great deal of sense.

Denys Gover
Canberra Australia