Re: Panel Wiring

Subject: Re: Panel Wiring
From: dbosomworth@meto.gov.uk
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 13:33:06

Hello Rolph,
        you wrote:
>Anyone got any thoughts on this one? The Europa circuit shows a 40A breaker for
>the alternator on the cockpit side of the firewall. In fact I planned to
>combine this with a switch - I suppose mainly because the aircraft I fly has an
>alternator switch. Is there any real need for an alternator switch - and why
>40A since I suppose this is only the field winding? Regards, Rolph #37

        It looks like Europa (and R&D) decided to bring the full alternator load
through the firewall and into the panel (Rotax output is 25A). This is also the

noisiest electrical field on the plane, so Alan Thorne and myself decided to
change things slightly to keep the run as short as possible. First, do you
really want to reset the 40A cb in flight if it pops ? If you answer no, then
you will be landing straight away anyway. If this cb pops there is a problem.
Our alternative is to use a 40A fuse, mounted in the engine compartment, to
isolate the circuit. Keeps the electrical noise in the engine compartment, away

---From radios and instruments, and keeps the wires shorter aka 'lighter'.Fuse
and

holder are very light, offsetting the weight of the battery master relay, which

we will also be fitting. From the same automotive parts catalogue we also got a

40A (or 60A) 2 pin plug and socket for master power: intend to redux one into
the firewall, to enable easy dismantling of connections to the panel. Dont have

the catalogue details with me, but will ask Alan if anyone wants them.

chus, dave
kit67